Sunday, February 21, 2016

Memories from Childhood

When I was three years old, I stomped up to my room on my sister's birthday because I didn't get a present. This is my first memory, actually. I remember that, as I went up, stomp by stomp, I was trying to look angry at my mom and my dad and my sister through the posts under the railing on the stairs. And I remember it not changing their minds one bit. It was still my sister's birthday, not mine.

We all used to get lemon Italian ice together, but I don't remember where. Sometimes it was watermelon. We biked there and back, wherever it was. It was cloudy.

For vacation, my parents would take us to Martha's Vineyard. We stayed in a pretty nice gray condo that was about a half mile away from a pretty nice beach. The sand there was smooth and warm in the summer. I remember trying to pull my dad underwater in the pool near the condo. He was hairy and fun and I loved him. Trying to drown him was my way of showing that.

At Martha's Vineyard, there's a small candy shop. It's old, so they spell shop "shoppe." I used to get little gummy hamburgers and hot dogs there. I still remember how they tasted. They tasted exactly as you would expect a gummy hamburger or hotdog to taste. I'd also get a few sheets of those dot candies that you had to peel off the paper. I never could get all the paper off some of them, so I ended up eating a lot of paper. I guess that might explain some things.

When I was in fifth grade I accidentally flashed one of my friends. I thought I had covered my "private parts" with a cardboard guitar (and I don't remember why I had a cardboard guitar), but, as my friend told me shortly afterward, I wasn't holding the guitar low enough. I think I was embarrassed, but part of me really wanted him to see me naked.

One night when I was a kid, I dreamt that I was standing in front of the door in my room. I looked up, and the top of the doorframe stretched up and up and up, endlessly. I was terrified, and I woke up.

When I was in second grade, I moved. Up to that point I lived across the street from my best friend. After I moved, we never talked again. He went on to play football. I didn't play football.  We never really said anything to each other; we just stopped having play dates. I didn't really understand why friends just stop being friends, and I still don't.

In fifth grade, I was called to the principal's office for creating an exclusive club and ranking members as higher or lower than each other. We had our own currency, which I made out of Sculpey clay, baked in the oven at home, and then distributed to everyone in the club. I called the club "the Birdy club" for the sole reason that I liked birds. That fateful day, I walked into the principal's office and wept at the terrible words that came out of Mr Benowitz's mouth: "Not at this school." When I got back to class, I was despondent. My friends asked me what happened, and I told them. "The Birdy club is over."

In seventh grade, I was suspended from school for one day for vandalizing a classmate's computer account. I didn't like this boy, so I guessed his password (which was his first name) and then copied and pasted 700 folders onto his desktop, each of which were named, "you suck," and contained another 700 folders with the same name. When I realized this was a bad thing to do, and that there were consequences for doing bad things, I cried like a baby. I learned my lesson and vowed never to get caught vandalizing computer accounts again.

When I was in ninth grade, I was out running with the cross country team in the trails behind the school. All of a sudden one of my teammates starts yelling and screaming, and everyone starts booking it out of the woods onto the soccer field. I have no idea what's going on until I start hearing buzzing, and feeling pain on my legs. Fucking bees. I got stung four times. My brother got stung about ten times. The worst was about 20. Fucking bees.

I went to high school prom with a date four years in a row. The first year was with my sister's friend. It was one of those arranged marriage type deals, and we didn't talk much. I just wanted to go to prom. Second year I took my best friend. We both wore pink. We later dated, broke up, and never spoke again. Third year, I took a girl in my class I didn't even know but who didn't have a date. We split shortly after arriving. Fourth year I took my then-girlfriend Sophie. We wore olive green because she thought it matched my eyes, and we took lots of cute photos in her parents' house, which always smelled like her dog, who is now peacefully dead, like our relationship.

In my second year of college I lost my virginity in room 806 in Larson Hall on a mattress under a dark red blanket. The mattress lay on the floor under a lofted bed frame that belonged to one of her roommates, both of whom were studying abroad for the month. This was one week after we watched Wings of Desire, the most boring movie I have ever seen, hands-down, period. I recommend it.

Today I played air-guitar to my favorite songs on the Green Line and did dead hangs from the metal bars that run across the ceilings of the train cars. There were so many times when I wanted to take out my ear buds and introduce myself to the pretty ladies on the train, but I decided that I much preferred my own company to theirs. So I spent the remainder of my caffeine high looking out at the world through the windows on the train, watching it whiz by at unnatural speeds, smearing my fingerprints all over the glass.

---

If you liked this post, check out some of my other recent posts:

Thanks for being you.

No comments:

Post a Comment